January 2, 2013

Why I write...

Maybe it's because I use words to make sense of the world.  Maybe it's because, as I get older, I care less and less about what people think of me.  Maybe it's because I'm just a little bit crazy! 

I have to do a lot of writing for my job - making presentations and summary handouts for my teaching, writing articles, and drafting research and grant proposals.  Sometimes it's invigorating and other times grueling.  There are days when the words flow freely and others where it feels like trying to draw blood from a turnip.  But the end result is almost always worth the effort.

Some girls can sing like a Disney princess, and others can run a sub 6-minute mile. I personally can't do either of those things, but for whatever reason, God gave me the ability to write, to weave words together in a way that makes sense, and, while it scares me a little, I know He wants me to use that gift for His glory.

I've toyed with the idea of starting a blog for a few years now.  Not an informational blog - I've done a little blogging on education and technology - but a more personal blog where I share a glimpse into my mind and heart.  Although not all share my opinion (look no farther than your Facebook or Twitter news feed), I believe that some information is better kept private than shared with the whole world.  Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I still prefer a written journal over social media for much of my personal reflection. But there is indeed something magical about allowing a degree of transparency in one's written thoughts; as such, an insightful, well-written piece often holds great power to inspire others and even prompt them to action.  Countless times, I have been inspired by something someone else has written - in print and through blogs or notes online.  

A few years ago, I attended an inspiring academic writing workshop given by Ken Henson, a very accomplished, yet unusually humble, writer with many years of experience. He said something that really stuck with me:  "Writing is exciting, and I've never understood why people make excuses about it. We write because we have something worthwhile to say, something that would not be shared with the world otherwise."

So, because I have something to say, something to share, in 2013, I will write.  I'd be humbled if you'd join me on this adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment